Saturday, February 26, 2011

Windows 7 Question of the Week

The following is a problem from Judy about the picture properties.  In Vista she could open a photograph and get all the properties down the right side of the display.  She thought this was also possible in Windows 7 but couldn't find it.

HA!!!  Tough!!!  You want me to expose my expertise about the wonderful world of computers???  I am the one that had to beg Santa for a hard drive because my old dependable died.  And he came through except the hard drive said for Mac’s only.  I know he hates me but I did finally get what I needed by holding one of the elves hostage.

Back to the subject. (Did I tell you that I have good short-term memory?)  Yes, you can have the properties displayed in Windows 7 as you had previously in Vista.

First way is to select the picture you want using Windows Explorer.  In this case (as shown in the following example) the properties are listed below the photograph at the bottom of your display.


This is simply selecting the photograph you want to view.  Some of the properties may be hidden but if you “mouse-over” the little blue down pointer that my arrow is pointing at, you will get a double-arrow (up-down).  Click the double-arrow and drag the properties up.

The next two methods are using software.  One is available with Windows 7 and is similar to Picasa in it’s use.  This is the Windows Live Photo Gallery and if it is not listed in your “All Programs” display, you can download it at Windows Live! (http://www.windowslive.com or go to http://www.microsoft.com and click on “Downloads”.)


Per the above sample you can see the properties (Information) for the photo in the right column which is most likely what Judy had seen previously.  Again most of the properties may be hidden but using the mouse you can find the double-arrow and drag the Information window up the screen.

Finally there is Picasa3.  This is a good viewing program yet others maintain that it is a good editing program.  My only warning is to remember it only saves in JPG format which compresses the file losing data each time it is saved.  The data is the clarity of the photo so in order to maintain a crisp, clear reprint you will have to go smaller and smaller.  Pin head photography ain’t popular yet.


You can see the properties listed on the right side of the display once you have highlighted a file.  (Note the blue outline of the photo to show it is selected.)

So there you have it.  Mister Computer Guru has come through again.  I know I’m good!  Just remember that Windows 7 is still new to me so it may take a couple days to get an answer to tough questions, such as, how do I turn off my computer?  or why doesn’t the monitor work when I have it plugged into the wall power (but no cable to the computer)?  The Great Guru can answer all……except for Macintosh.  (Sorry)
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment