Saturday, April 2, 2011

Out of Focus??

Problem: I want to take a picture with everything in focus. The camera seems to cause the background and/or foreground to be blurred.

This is fairly easy to correct but you must know how your particular camera looks at your target. The main culprit is simply manual or correct mode selection to control of the depth of field. Another controlling factor is your autofocus settings. Most cameras have several modes which use different symbols to show you where the camera is looking for the focus. The closer the subject is to the camera, the camera will give you a limited depth of field and blurred images in front and behind the subject. If you are using a zoom lens, lower the magnification of the lens making the object seem farther away will give you a more open depth of field.

Depth of Field is one of the key tools of a photographer and a thorough understanding of it is essential. Pictures of landscapes with wide-angle lens will normally give you an open depth of field or infinite focus. Setting the depth of field to a limited focal range is desirable when taking photos of objects between the camera and the horizon. This brings the object into sharp focus and blurs the background to lead the eye to the subject of the photograph.

The camera lens f/stop (aperture) setting controls the opening of the camera shutter. The f/stop can be looked at as a math fraction. (Example: 1/2 is larger than 1/4. f/2 is a larger aperture opening than f/4) f/22 is about the smallest you will find for digital photography unless you are a profession making all them big bucks. Okay, how does this fit in with the subject?? Your f/stop is the key element to setting up depth of field. Controlling depth of field is easiest if you are using a DSLR camera. Of course, you are saying, “….but I own a point-and-shoot camera!!” Again, I say you MUST know your camera. Read that owner’s manual because most have various modes controlling the lens aperture in priority or a manual mode so you can select both aperture and exposure time.

Ray added on 04/02/2011:

NOTE:  As my wife would say....The Mississippi River flows clearer than what you just wrote!!!  Okay, so I'm going to "revamp" or "rewrite" this article using my skills of confusion and aberration of facts. ("Just give me the facts, m'am.")


Ray O’Neal

2 comments:

  1. Yup. This is when I always say "Don't give me any more advice. I already know more things to do than I can possibly handle at one sitting!" But yes, knowing how to control depth of field is a great advantage, and I know my Lumix will let me do it. I just gotta practice, practice, practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw yes, depth of field & f-stops. Almost a lost art since the advent of auto focus. Takes me back to the old 35mm days & having to work hard at getting a photo just right. With all the new technologies & smart cameras these days plus digital photography & easy to use photo editing programs we have a tendency to set the cameras on full 'Auto' & click away. Far less technical thinking these days & I like that. If you are satisfied with your 'full auto' results then that's all that matters. If you want to add an extra pinch of satisfaction & quality to your photos I suggest you get a little friendlier with your camera manual & see what you really can creatively do with your photography:))

    ReplyDelete